Pattern Study No 2 (1976)
by Stacey Bowers
Bowers' Pattern Study No. 2 was written for Black Earth Percussion Group
in 1976. The composer's instructions to the performers read:
- bass line should be played throughout
- move freely among patterns
- octave displacement is acceptable, as is doubling, halving, etc. the rhythm
of a pattern
- repeat each pattern as often as desired
- improvise on the scale of the patterns (F mixolydian).
The duration is undetermined as is the instrumentation. There is no
specific tempo given for the ostinato. The players move ad libitum
between 24 patterns. For this evening's
performance, the ostinato will be played by a MIDI setup combined with various
additional analog keyboard percussion tracks.